Señor Santo Niño de Cebu

On April 28, 1565, Juan Camus, a sailor in Legaspi’s fleet, found in a modest house of the then Village of Cebu, the image of Santo Niño which at the time, all agreed had been brought from Europe.  Deeply impressed by this finding and aware of its significance, Legaspi ordered an official inquiry be conducted.

The document, drawn on May 16 of the same year and still existing in the archives of the Santo Niño Convent of Cebu, tells us from the testimony of eyewitnesses that the image, preserved in almost perfectcondition, was found inside a small pine box.  It had on a little shirt and a cap;  two of the right hand’s fingers were raised in geseture of blessing, while the left hand held a globe symbolizing the world.

In solemn procession, the image was carried to the provisional Church of Augustinian.

Later, another church was built on the exact locadtion where the image had been found.  This is the site of the Santo Niño Church where the Augustinians have cared for the image and the Filipino people have venerated it through the centuries.

An earlier authenticated entry in the Journal of Pigaffeta, a cleark in the Magellan expedition, explains the origin of Santo Niño.  On the day Queen Juana of Spain was baptized by Father Pedro Valderrama, chaplain of that expedition, Pigaffeta himself presented her with the image.

During World War II, a bomb fell inside the church, but the image was found unscathed.

At present, the Santo Niño Church has been renovated in the interior and given the rank of Basilica, to make it a still more fitting shrine for our beloved Santo Niño.

Basilica Minore del Santo Nino in Cebu 

Inside the Basilica of Santo Nino in Cebu

Calendar
RSS Feeds
GIMILAMI.org
MORE ABOUT GIMILAMI
Archives
Links
Meta